The biggest innovations of the 21st century will be at the intersection of biology and technology. A new era is beginning - Steve Jobs, Apple Founder
Dr Paul Walsh
Dr Walsh holds a Ph. D., M.Sc. and B.Sc. Hons in Computer Science, has a long list of publications including outstanding paper awards and has recently been awarded distinction in the HETAC Project
His research focus is in machine learning and data analytical techniques with strong focus on commercialisation and innovation. He current focus is managing NSilico Ltd, a spin out company from CIT.
Engagement with Wider Society
Dr. Walsh has long inculcated entrepreneurship having spun out companies through the Rubicon centre and has engaged successfully with companies such as Endress, Iron Mountain, Lincor, SEFTec, Teagasc, Irish Naval Service, Cork University Hospital, Glanbia. He has developed key initiatives with BT Young Scientists, Coder Dojo, Social Entrepreneurs Ireland.
- Diploma Project Management, CIT, 2012, distinction top of class.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, UCC, 2001
- M.Sc., Computer Science, UCC, 1992
- B.Sc. Hons., Computer Science with minor in Maths and Statistic
- Member of Association Computing Machinery (ACM), the world's largest educational and scientific computing society
- Member IEEE, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is the world's largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence.
- Member The International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) , the leading scholarly society dedicated to advancing thescientific understanding of living systems through computation Editorial Positions
- Editor, Collaborative European Research Conference 2011 Proceedings, ISSN, 2220-4164
- Editorial board member Bioengineered, Landes Publishing, ISSN:1949-1018.
- Editorial Committee Member, IEEE Transactions of EvolutionaryComputation, ISSN: 1089-778X
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, ACM Conference Proceedings. 1998 to Present.
- Congress on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Proceedings. 1998 to Present.
- World Congress on Computational Intelligence, 2008 to Present.
- Automatic Task Decomposition for the NeuroEvolution of Augmenting Topologies (NEAT) Algorithm, 10th European Conference on Evolutionary Machine Learning and Data Mining in Computational Biology (EvoBIO 2012), (67-76)Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- CERC2011 Collaborative European Research Conference, 14. - 15. January 2011 Cork, Ireland, editor Paul Walsh et al., ISSN: 2220-416
- An overview of in silico protein function prediction, Roy D.Sleator * Paul Walsh, Arch Microbiol (2010) 192:151-155, Springer-Verlag 2010.